This sauce is made with fresh tomatillos and chile peppers which are at their peak in the summer, but it freezes well. I make Chile Verde Sauce in large batches and enjoy it long after the harvest. It is a great addition to breakfast eggs and chorizo, to pork stew, as a fresh salsa and many other favorite Mexican uses.
Two Mexican Dishes featuring Chile Verde Sauce
I freeze batches of this sauce in quart freezer bags and bring it out all year to enhance breakfasts or Mexican main dishes. For the egg dish above, just place some of the chile verde sauce in a pan over medium-low heat, make wells in the sauce to crack eggs into, sprinkle with cheese, and cook slowly until the egg yolks are to your liking.
Recipe for Low Carb Chile Verde Sauce
Chile Verde Sauce
- 1 1/2 lb tomatillos
- 5-6 cloves garlic
- 2 Anaheim or Jalapeno chile peppers optional: use ground Hatch chile powder to taste
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 bunch green onions (scallions)
- 1 bunch cilantro
- Remove papery husks from tomatillos and rinse. Cut the tomatillos in half and place cut side down on a foil-lined baking sheet. Place 5-6 garlic cloves (in their skins) on the baking sheet along with fresh chile peppers. Place under a broiler for about 5-7 minutes to lightly blacken the skins of the tomatillos and peppers.
- Cool tomatillos for a few minutes. In a food processor or a blender combine roasted tomatillos, garlic, peppers, 2 cups chicken broth, green onions, and cilantro. If you opted for Hatch chile spice add 1-2 tsp to blender also as an alternative to the fresh chile peppers.
- Season to taste with salt. Can be used as salsa immediately or frozen to serve with a wide array of Mexican dishes.
Recipe for Baked Eggs in Chile Verde Sauce
- 1-2 cups chile verde sauce
- 3-5 eggs
- 1 cup cotija cheese (or queso fresco
- Cover the bottom of a non-stick skillet with the chile verde sauce and heat over medium to med-low.
- Make 3-5 wells in the sauce and gently crack an egg and pour into each well.
- Sprinkle with cotija cheese (can use queso fresco as an option) and cook slowly until the egg yolks are to your liking.
- If you prefer it with poached eggs, click here to see how to make the perfect poached egg
Click here for the recipe to make the pork stew with chile verde sauce shown above.
Online Coaching Available:
I have followed the slow carb diet for 2 years, the keto diet for 1 year and now I currently do a nuanced version of the best of both including a 16/8 intermittent fasting protocol. I have put my “been there done that” knowledge to work helping people figure it out and customize the approach that works for them. I am currently an online fitness coach (info can be found here if you’re interested), and have just hit the 325-client mark. Come and visit me and see if online coaching might be for you!
If not for diet or exercise, there are other coaches on the site that coach anything from writing a blog, to getting up early, to getting rid of that pesky procrastination. Explore the site while you are there. There are some wonderful coaches and the testimonials will tell you what you need to know. Click here to get to my profile and then explore others from there.