This recipe for baked eggs in a chile verde sauce is one of our favorite breakfasts. The fresh, tangy chile verde sauce pairs with the hot eggs for a heartwarming breakfast made in a snap.Jump to Recipe
Baked Eggs with Chile Verde Sauce
One of the main reasons we love these chile verde eggs is because they are so easy! They take about 10 minutes from start to finish which makes them the perfect healthy weekday breakfast.
Baked Eggs Compared to Other Methods for Cooking Eggs
The recipe below is for eggs baked in wells in the hot chile verde sauce. Baked eggs aren’t for everyone though- and one of the best things about eggs is you can cook them in so many different ways!
The recipe below would be easily adaptable to egg “muffins” (made in muffin tins). Add a base layer of refried beans, add the chile verde, crack an egg on top and sprinkle with cheese. Cook at 350° for about 15-17 minutes. This is a great option if you’re trying to feed a crowd as everyone can customize to their own tastes.
Another great variation of this recipe if you want to add some flare is to cook this similarly to the Harissa Baked Shakshouka recipe. Follow steps 5-7, and allow to cool slightly. Top with crema mexicana (or sour cream) and red salsa to resemble the Mexican flag.
If you prefer it with poached eggs, here is how to make the perfect poached egg
Serving Suggestions to Accompany Baked Eggs with Chile Verde
The ultimate traditional serving accoutrement is tortillas- but if you are trying to maintain a low carb lifestyle, low carb tortillas can be hard to come by. Check out our low carb tortilla comparison here.
Here are some other low carb traditional serving suggestions for this eggs and chile verde:
- With refried beans
- Over a slice of ham
- With chorizo
- Over a layer of shredded chicken
- With any squash- our favorite with this dish is butternut squash
This is a delicious recipe no matter how you serve it!
Similar Recipes You’ll Love
If you like these chile verde eggs as much as we do, check out these recipes too:
Recipe for Baked Eggs with Chile Verde
- non-stick skillet
- 1-2 tbsp grapeseed oil or oil of your choice
- 1-2 cups chile verde sauce
- 3-5 eggs
- 1 cup cotija cheese or queso fresco
- Heat oil over medium to medium-low heat. Cover the bottom of a non-stick skillet with the chile verde sauce and heat until lightly bubbling.
- Make 3-5 shallow wells in the sauce and gently crack an egg into each well. The egg should not be touching the bottom of the skillet.
- Sprinkle with cotija cheese (or queso fresco) and cook slowly until the egg yolks are to your liking- for me it was just under 8 minutes for over medium.
- Serve with additional sauce, black beans, cilantro, extra cheese or straight out of the pan!
Although I am not currently taking clients for diet & health coaching, I have been a coach for many years with the online service called coach.me. It is a great platform for all kinds of coaching – anything from specific diets, writing a blog, getting up early, or getting rid of that pesky procrastination.
Explore the site through the link below. There are some wonderful coaches and the testimonials will tell you what you need to know. You can always contact me to get referrals also. Click here to get to my profile and then explore others from there.