High carb meals are popular around celebrations and holidays but they can often leave you bloated and lethargic. Not so with this easy low carb dinner of Chorizo and Eggs. It’s easy to whip together and you won’t be lacking for compliments on the flavor.
For Cilantro Lovers:
There are two camps on cilantro, the lovers and the haters. If you are a lover, then mince up some of the cilantro stems and add to the recipe when you add the other spices. If you are a hater…..well, it doesn’t hurt the dish to leave it out entirely.
Recipe for a Low Carb Dinner of Chorizo and Eggs
OK, let’s get to it. Oh, and if you want a really fresh paprika (smoked or not smoked) to use in this recipe, click here.
Low Carb Chorizo and Eggs
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- 8-10 oz chorizo
- 1 med onion chopped
- 1-3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 med bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup romesco sauce can substitute 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 med lime zested and juiced
- 4-5 med – large eggs
- 3-6 sprigs cilantro for garnish
- Heat oil in skillet over med-high heat. Add chorizo and cook until no longer pink (4-5 min). Remove chorizo from pan
- Add chopped onion and saute until caramelized (4-5 minutes). Add garlic and cook about 30 seconds.
- Add reserved chorizo back to the skillet and stir in peppers, romesco (or tomatoes), spices, lime zest and lime juice. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir and cook 2-3 minutes until mixture is heated through.
- Make small wells (holes) in the mixture with a spoon and carefully crack egg and pour into the wells, one by one. Cover and cook over medium to medium low for 3-4 minutes, or until egg whites solidify.
- Garnish with cilantro.