High carb meals are popular around celebrations and holidays but they can often leave you bloated and lethargic. Not so with this easy low carb dinner of Chorizo and Eggs. It’s easy to whip together and you won’t be lacking for compliments on the flavor.
A Few Things to know about Chorizo
Chorizo is a highly seasoned, somewhat spicy, ground sausage made of pork. It is used most often in Mexican or Spanish cuisine.
The Spanish version is smoked and enhances the smoky flavor with liberal use of smoked paprika. When you see the deep red chorizo in the store, that is going to be the smoky Spanish version.
Alternatively, the Mexican version is fresh, raw pork which is typically seasoned with vinegar and a variety of chile peppers. Mexican chorizo can be quite complex with the brighter spiciness of chile peppers that are not smoked.
Mexican corizo and Spanish chorizo are indeed different flavor profiles, so they aren’t truly interchangeable. They are both excellent however and if your dish calls for Spanish and all there is in the store is Mexican, use it! You will still end up with a robust flavor-filled dish.
Chorizo and eggs is typically considered a breakfast dish. There is absolutely no reason it can’t stand in for a low carb dinner however!
Other Great Uses for Chorizo
You can also crisp up chorizo and toss it into salads, mix it into your pasta sauce, or use the dried varieties on a charcuterie plate.
This DIY for cheese & jam pairings has some great ideas for cheese boards. Add some chorizo and other dried meats for a perfect chacuterie plate around the holidays or for social gatherings.
For Cilantro Lovers:
There are two camps on cilantro, the lovers and the haters. If you are a lover, then mince up some of the cilantro stems and add to the recipe when you add the other spices. If you are a hater…..well, it doesn’t hurt the dish to leave it out entirely.
OK, let’s get to it. Oh, and if you want a really fresh organic paprika (smoked or not smoked) to use in this recipe, click here.
Low Carb Chorizo and Eggs
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- 8-10 oz chorizo
- 1 med onion chopped
- 1-3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 med bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup romesco sauce can substitute 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 med lime zested and juiced
- 4-5 med – large eggs
- 3-6 sprigs cilantro for garnish
- Heat oil in skillet over med-high heat. Add chorizo and cook until no longer pink (4-5 min). Remove chorizo from pan
- Add chopped onion and saute until caramelized (4-5 minutes). Add garlic and cook about 30 seconds.
- Add reserved chorizo back to the skillet and stir in peppers, romesco (or tomatoes), spices, lime zest and lime juice. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir and cook 2-3 minutes until mixture is heated through.
- Make small wells (holes) in the mixture with a spoon and carefully crack egg and pour into the wells, one by one. Cover and cook over medium to medium low for 3-4 minutes, or until egg whites solidify.
- Garnish with cilantro.