Cheese plates are one of the easiest, yet most elegant (and delicious), ways to delight your family and friends, whether it be a small gathering or a hosted event. There are many types of pairings to consider when putting together cheese plates, from cheese and wine pairings to cheese and low carb pairings. This post focuses on pairings of cheese and jam, highlighting some of the great flavor combinations.
A Cheese and Jam Pairing Chart
Here is a chart with some ideas of great (and tested) cheese and jam pairings. If any of these pairings look good to you, look for similar jams at your favorite outlet or purchase from our online store.
4 Easy Keys to Successful Cheese Plates
The world of cheese and jam pairings as a cheese tray or cheese board offers a wide range of taste and texture options. So much so that it can be quite overwhelming. Here are four key ideas to focus on:
- Balance the flavors of your cheese-jam plate with other items that offer complementary flavors. You want a balance of sweet, tart, salty and acidic (And maybe spicy). The jams are sweet, the cheese tends to be mild and fatty, so consider olives, salty cured meats, or acidic fruits like apples or citrus.
- Consider texture (i.e., crunchy crackers with creamy cheese and whole-fruit jams rather than jellies).
- The visual display is important. A wood or slate cheese board becomes a true thing of beauty when you arrange it with pale yellow cheeses, jewel-toned jams, and fresh crispy green micro-greens.
- And finally, think about convenience, especially during the busy holidays. Some of the condiments come in jars that are attractive enough to plop right on your cheese board next to its intended cheese partner.
Recommended Ingredients for a Successful Cheese Plate
Here are some ideas that can add variety in taste, texture and convenience. And the great thing about cheese plates is people with different tastes and/or diets can pick and choose what suits them. It’s nice to have everyone happy during the holidays!
- honey in small jars
- carmelized onions
- fresh herbs (micro greens are fun)
- cornichons (those little pickles);
- salty meats (like salami, pepperoni, other deli meats);
- crackers (seeded and not seeded)
- sturdy robust breads
- mustards (try our smoked tomato mustard for a real treat!)
Pairing Cheese with Fruit Wines
Wine and cheese pairings are a subject unto their own, and there are many resources to help you with that end of things. One great idea, and a resource to help with the idea, is to try out a fruity wine pairing if you are not using fruit jams.
If you are including a lot of fruit jams on your cheese plates, I would probably opt for a white wine like Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio. That’s just my taste however. Check with your local wine/liquor store expert for their suggestions.
More Ideas for Cheese Plates, Cheese Trays or Cheese Boards
For those on a low carb or low sugar diet, try these ideas for low carb cheese plates
For holiday gatherings or planning a party, try this comprehensive guide on putting together cheese boards for a crowd
To Purchase Specific Jams:
When my husband walked into the kitchen as I was preparing a cheese plate he surprisingly said, “that is some good looking food”, and proceeded to gobble up the leftovers. The husband is a fairly taciturn type of guy, so hearing these words expressed so strongly (for him) was quite a surprise. I think it was a nod to the power of the visual. So many colors and textures!
Hopefully these Cheese and Jam Pairings will be useful to you in putting together cheese plates for any celebration or event. If you are interested in any of the specific jams I list, they can be found here at my online store.
Although I am not currently taking clients for diet & health coaching, I have been a coach for many years with the online service called coach.me. It is a great platform for all kinds of coaching – anything from specific diets, writing a blog, getting up early, or getting rid of that pesky procrastination.
There are some wonderful coaches and the testimonials will tell you what you need to know. Contact me at email@example.com to get a referral to some of the tested, experienced online coaches on Coach.me
If you’d like to start with a plan for a low carb or keto lifestyle, check out this detailed guide in ebook form. It may be all you need to lose weight on this lifestyle. Or it may be used as a supplement to one-to-one coaching.