My favorite slow carb breakfast, especially on weekends, involves eggs baked on top of bacon and spinach. It is fairly quick (about 7 minutes) and easy and ever-so-delicious. Basically you fry some bacon, drain it, toss some fresh spinach in the bacon drippings, crack a few eggs on top, cover and bake. Done! Delicious! Healthy!
Don’t over-think your Slow Carb Breakfast
I’m just going to briefly describe the process rather than put this breakfast into a recipe format. It is easy and flexible and you really don’t need to worry about perfection with this dish. It is much easier than frying eggs and turning them in a skillet, and definitely easier than an omelet. Even if it comes out as a tossed up, messy scramble it will be delicious. Just use great ingredients!
- Fry up some bacon in a skillet to just under the crispiness you like.
- Drain some of the grease off, leaving the bacon in the skillet, and turn the heat to medium-low.
- Rinse some bunch spinach (not the baby spinach in the plastic containers) and cut off the stems. Toss a handful or two of spinach in the pan on top of the bacon.
- Crack 2 or 3 eggs on top of the spinach. Add a little salt and pepper.
- Cover the skillet (important to cover) and let the eggs bake on the burner (medium-low heat) until they are the consistency you like.
- Use a spatula or just tilt and slide the whole thing onto a plate and enjoy!
**Oh, and add a couple dashes of balsamic vinegar or apple cider vinegar when you add the salt and pepper. It really adds to the flavor.