I’ve been playing around with high protein smoothies in an attempt to get a mix of low carb, low sugar ingredients that will allow the smoothie to do three things: taste good, be compliant with a low carb diet, and keep energy levels high until lunch. The recipe below does all three!
It took me a while to buy in to the smoothie trend, but I’m fully on-board now, as long as you leave out the bananas and high fructose fruit and the high lactose dairy. Smoothies can be a great way of getting leafy greens and protein into our diets, both of which have a high correlation with weight loss success.
Template for Basic “cover-the-bases” Protein Smoothies:
Template for Basic Protein Smoothies
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup frozen berries can use blackberries, blueberries or strawberries for best taste
- 1/3 cup Whey protein powder should be a whey isolate- Isopure, Premier, or MuscleTech are good brands
- 1 tbsp chia seeds optional
- 1 cup fresh spinach I use 1-2 handfuls
- 1 cup water can use more or less depending on desired thickness
- 1/2 cup ice cubes can use more or less depending on desired thickness
- Blend it all up together, pour in a glass and enjoy! Remember to run hot water in your blender right after making the smoothie so that cleanup is easy (it’s hard to clean if you let it sit without water).
Compliant Substitutions or Add-ins for Basic Protein Smoothies:
I never get tired of protein smoothies for breakfast and look forward to the basic one above one each morning. If you do get bored with the same thing every day however, here are a range of low-carb compliant ingredients that you can substitute in to the above standard (or simply add in):
- romaine lettuce instead of spinach
- undistilled apple cider vinegar (if you have digestion issues or flatulence)
- peanut butter (not much, it’s dense in calories)
- cottage cheese (high protein)
- MCT oil, or coconut oil
- cacao nibs
Enjoy! If you want to know more about low-carb diets and/or need support, accountability or information from someone who has “been there, done that”, I would love to share and help as your personal online diet coach. If low carb is not your thing, there are plenty of other types of coaches available (vegan coaches, vegetarian coaches, Bulletproof coffee coaches, etc.) Try it out! The first 3 days are free with any coach.
Click here to link to my coaching profile, and you can explore other coaches from there: