When outdoor grilling is not an option, an indoor grill can do the trick perfectly. Salmon is one of the best proteins you can eat on a low carb or keto diet and this Mexican grilled salmon is one of the quickest and easiest main dishes for a great low carb dinner.
Indoor vs. Outdoor Grilling
I know grillers think it is heresy to grill inside the house, but honestly I’m just too lazy to do the prep work for grilling outside. I know the gas grills are easy, but I find it infinitely easier to use an indoor grill like the Cuisinart Griddler or a grill pan on the stovetop. Plus you can get great grilled food in the Winter!
One problem some people note with grilling indoors is the smoke. That is more of a problem with steaks and proteins that take a longer time to cook, and are cooked on a stovetop grill
Salmon and fish usually takes less than 5 minutes from sear to done and there is no noticeable smoke emitted when cooked on the stovetop and there is no smoke at all when salmon is cooked on one of the pannini-type of indoor grills.
These indoor pannini-type of grills cook from the top and bottom at the same time and makes short shrift out of grilling steaks and pork chops and fish. Love the grill marks on both sides also!
Ingredients for Mexican-Spiced Salmon
Rubs, Toppings and Sauces for Grilled Salmon
Salmon is one of the healthiest proteins you can eat in my opinion. It lends itself well to many low carb rubs and toppings and accompaniments.
Miso-glazed salmon, harissa-glazed salmon, lemon-parmesan salmon are just a few that come to mind.
The recipe below uses lime juice and a Mexican-inspired rub. The grilled salmon dinner is further enhanced with a Mexican chile verde sauce. You can pair the salmon with a chile verde sauce or a tomato salsa, both of which are low carb.
Asparagus, green beans, fresh peas, ramps or any of the wonderful fresh spring vegetables round out the dinner and make it a delight to eat on the deck. Right next to the cold, but clean, grill.
Homemade Fish Spice Blend
You can purchase the Mexican-inspired fish rub here, or make your own with the following ratios:
- 1 Tbsp granulated onion powder
- 2 tsp granulated garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp chipotle spice
- 1 tsp pink salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
Mexican Spiced Salmon on an Indoor Grill
Mexican Grilled Salmon
- Indoor grill Like the Cuisinart Griddler
- measuring spoons
- 4 fillets salmon skin-on
- 1 Tablespoon chipotle spice or other hot pepper powder
- 2 Teaspoons granulated garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon granulated onion powder
- ½ Teaspoon white pepper
- 1 Teaspoon pink salt
- 4 tsp fresh lime juice about 1 large lime
- Pat the salmon fillets dry on both sides paper towels. Turn the grill on to high to heat up.4 fillets salmon
- In a small bowl, stir together all spices. Spread the resulting rub over the salmon fillets and drizzle with lime juice.Set aside while you make any side dishes that you are going to have with the salmon (a chile verde sauce or a green vegetable are good accompaniments)1 Tablespoon chipotle spice, 2 Teaspoons granulated garlic powder, 1 Tablespoon granulated onion powder, 1/2 Teaspoon white pepper, 1 Teaspoon pink salt, 4 tsp fresh lime juice
- Place the salmon pieces on the bottom part of the grill, close the cover and grill for about 2 minutes (it doesn’t take long when cooking from top and bottom at same time; don’t overcook).
- Serve with a chile verde sauce or fresh salsa or green vegetables.
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon chipotle spice
- 1 teaspoon pink salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
Online Diet & Health Coaching
Although I am not currently taking clients for diet & health coaching, I have been a coach for many years with the online service called coach.me. It is a great platform for all kinds of coaching – anything from specific diets, writing a blog, getting up early, or getting rid of that pesky procrastination. There are some wonderful coaches and the testimonials will tell you what you need to know. Contact me at [email protected] to get a referral to some of the wonderful online coaches on Coach.me