Salmon is a nutritional powerhouse, especially for people on a low carb or ketogenic lifestyle. It also lends itself wonderfully to low carb sauces or rubs. This harissa baked salmon is one of my favorite Pesco Mediterranean recipes and can be a quick 10-minute weeknight dinner or a fancy-schmancy dinner party dish! I made it with some roasted Winter squash that I covered in the harissa sauce as well.
This post may contain affiliate links, and you can read our disclosure information here–
What is Harissa?
Harissa is a wonderful Northwest African sauce or condiment that is used to flavor many different kinds of dishes. It typically includes a range of chile peppers, cumin, coriander, caraway and cinnamon and is made into a sauce/paste or used as a powdered spice blend.
Commercial harissa pastes vary quite a bit, some of them being extremely spicy. I tend to go for the milder harissa so I can taste the complexity of all of the spices and different chiles.
How is Harissa Used in Cooking?
Harissa comes as either a paste or a spice blend. Either way, it can be used as a rub on proteins like the salmon recipe below.
Other popular ways to use harissa include:
- Stirred into couscous.
- For a glaze on grilled main dishes.
- As a relish or condiment to have on the side with any roasted vegetable or protein.
- Stirred into scrambled eggs.
- Stirred into creamy winter squash dishes.
- Stirred into hummus.
Using Harissa as a Glaze for Salmon
Mixing up harissa paste with mayonnaise and a little lemon juice for the salmon recipe below turned the harissa paste into more of a creamy sauce. So easy and so delicious. This recipe for baked salmon and harissa sauce received raves from dinner guests!.
You can easily make your own homemade harissa sauce . Just use the freshest ingredients you can find and toast the spices for a high quality harissa. Of course you can also purchase a mild harissa sauce if you prefer.
**FYI: If you want to see all of our fish and seafood recipes, take a look at this fish and seafood category
If you make and love this recipe, please leave a ★★★★★ review below and any comments others might find helpful. It means a lot to me when you try my recipes, and I’d love to know how it goes.
Harissa Glazed Salmon
- 1 9” x 13” baking dish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Coat the inside of a 9 x 12-inch baking dish with oil or something like PAM. Sprinkle the salmon with salt and pepper and arrange salmon in baking dish.16 ounces salmon, salt and pepper to taste
- In a bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, lemon juice, harissa paste, and smoked paprika, stirring until smooth. Spread the mayonnaise mixture over the fish as evenly as possible.1/3 cup mayonnaise, 1-2 teaspoon lemon juice, 1 tablespoon harissa paste, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Place the lemon slices around the salmon and bake in the preheated oven until the fish is hot and has begun to turn opaque (about 6 min).1 lemon
- Remove from the oven, turn the oven on broil, and raise the oven rack to the broil position. When up to broil temperature return the salmon to the broiler rack and broil until nicely browned, about 3 min.
- Enjoy the Harissa Glazed Salmon with roasted Winter squash and a side of harissa sauce to spread on the squash if desired. Refrigerate any leftover for tomorrow's lunch!
Online Diet/Health Coaching:
Although I am not currently taking clients for diet & health coaching, I have been a coach for many years with the online service called coach.me. It is a great platform for all kinds of coaching – anything from specific diets, writing a blog, getting up early, or getting rid of that pesky procrastination.
There are some wonderful coaches and the testimonials will tell you what you need to know. Contact me at [email protected] to get a referral to some of the tested, experienced online coaches on Coach.me
If you’d like to start with a plan for a low carb or keto lifestyle, check out this detailed guide in ebook form. It may be all you need to lose weight on this lifestyle. Or it may be used as a supplement to one-to-one coaching.