I’m a salmon fanatic, both because I love the taste but also because I think it’s a nutritional powerhouse. especially for people on a low carb or ketogenic lifestyle. It is one of those things that is wonderful grilled, oven-baked, roasted, smoked, and/or poached. Pretty hard to go wrong with salmon. It also lends itself wonderfully to any range of sauces or rubs. This harissa glazed salmon is one of my favorite recipes and can be a quick weeknight dinner as well as a fancy-schmancy dinner party!
Harissa is a wonderful North African sauce or condiment that is used to flavor many different kinds of dishes. It is frequently used to flavor couscous or as a glaze for grilled main dishes. It is also popular as a relish or condiment to have on the side with any roasted vegetable or protein. I like it stirred into scrambled eggs or into creamy winter squash dishes also.
Mixing it up with mayonnaise and a little lemon juice for this salmon recipe turned the harissa paste into more of a creamy sauce. The mayonnaise is totally optional, as the harissa paste is great as a glaze for salmon all on its own.
Another excellent way to cook a creative but easy salmon dish with harissa is to glaze the salmon with the harissa paste and then make a creamy yogurt and dill sauce for a topping. That saying “it’s all good” definitely works here.
I used our award-winning Harissa sauce from HeathGlen, but there are alternatives in various gourmet-type stores. They all taste quite different. I prefer one that is complex and has a range of chili peppers rather than a sauce that is so hot you can’t distinguish the unique flavors. You can also make your own of course. Click here for a harissa recipe you can make at home.
Recipe for Harissa Glazed Salmon:
- 4-5 salmon fillets (or 1 large salmon cut into fillets)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1-2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp harissa
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp wine (red or white)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Coat the inside of a 9 x 12-inch baking dish with oil or something like PAM Sprinkle the salmon with salt and pepper and arrange salmon in baking dish
- In a bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, lemon juice, harissa, and smoked paprika, stirring until smooth. Spread the mayonnaise mixture over the fish as evenly as possible.
- Place them lemon slices around the salmon and bake in the preheated oven until the fish is hot and has begun to turn opaque (about 6-10 min).
- Remove from the oven, turn the oven on broil, and raise the oven rack to the broil position. When up to broil temperature return the salmon to the broiler rack and broil until nicely browned, about 3 min.
- Enjoy the Harissa Glazed Salmon with a glass of wine and refrigerate any leftover for tomorrow’s lunch!
Online Coaching Available:
I have followed the slow carb diet for 3 years and the keto diet for 2 years now, and I have put my “been there done that” knowledge to work helping people figure it out. I am currently an online diet coach (info can be found here if you’re interested), and have just hit the 250-client mark. Come and visit me and see if online coaching might be for you!
If not for diet, there are other coaches on the site that coach anything from writing a blog, to getting up early, to getting rid of that pesky procrastination. Explore the site while you are there. There are some wonderful coaches and the testimonials will tell you what you need to know. Click here to get to my profile and then explore others from there.