Salmon is a nutritional powerhouse. especially for people on a low carb or ketogenic lifestyle. It also lends itself wonderfully to any range of sauces or rubs. This harissa baked salmon is one of my favorite Pesco Mediterranean recipes and can be a quick 10-minute weeknight dinner or a fancy-schmancy dinner party dish!Jump to Recipe
What is Harissa?
Harissa is a wonderful North African sauce or condiment that is used to flavor many different kinds of dishes. It is frequently used to flavor couscous or as a glaze for grilled main dishes.
It is also popular as a relish or condiment to have on the side with any roasted vegetable or protein. I like it stirred into scrambled eggs or into creamy winter squash dishes also.
Using Harissa as a Glaze for Salmon
Mixing up harissa paste with mayonnaise and a little lemon juice for the salmon recipe below turned the harissa paste into more of a creamy sauce. So easy and so delicious. This recipe received raves from dinner guests!.
I used our award-winning Harissa sauce from HeathGlen, but there are alternatives in various gourmet-type stores. They all taste quite different.
I prefer one that is complex and has a range of chili peppers rather than a sauce that is so hot you can’t distinguish the unique flavors.
You can also make your own of course. Click here for a DIY harissa recipe you can make at home.
Harissa Glazed Salmon
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Coat the inside of a 9 x 12-inch baking dish with oil or something like PAM Sprinkle the salmon with salt and pepper and arrange salmon in baking dish
- In a bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, lemon juice, harissa, and smoked paprika, stirring until smooth. Spread the mayonnaise mixture over the fish as evenly as possible.
- Place them lemon slices around the salmon and bake in the preheated oven until the fish is hot and has begun to turn opaque (about 6-10 min).
- Remove from the oven, turn the oven on broil, and raise the oven rack to the broil position. When up to broil temperature return the salmon to the broiler rack and broil until nicely browned, about 3 min.
- Enjoy the Harissa Glazed Salmon with a glass of wine and refrigerate any leftover for tomorrow’s lunch!
Online Diet/Health Coaching:
Although I am not currently taking clients for diet & health coaching, I have been a coach for many years with the online service called coach.me. It is a great platform for all kinds of coaching – anything from specific diets, writing a blog, getting up early, or getting rid of that pesky procrastination.
There are some wonderful coaches and the testimonials will tell you what you need to know. Contact me at [email protected] to get a referral to some of the tested, experienced online coaches on Coach.me
If you’d like to start with a plan for a low carb or keto lifestyle, check out this detailed guide in ebook form. It may be all you need to lose weight on this lifestyle. Or it may be used as a supplement to one-to-one coaching.