Finding alternatives for chips is often problematic for people living a low carb lifestyle. Some people crave sugar, but almost as many crave a salty, crunchy snack. Protein, fat and vegetables don’t lend themselves to salty and crunchy. I’ve recommended chicharonnes (pork skins) in the past, but this easy recipe for Low Carb Roasted Chickpeas is another alternative for those that just can’t handle the idea of pork skins. It’s really easy to make, but there is a new prepared convenience food currently in stores that is also great — Parmesan Crisps!
Recipe for Low Carb Roasted Chickpeas with herbs and Parmesan:
This is the recipe I used in the photo above. There is a plethora of different seasoning mixes to use with Roasted Chickpeas (just google Roasted Chickpeas), but the basic process is the same. Here is my recipe for a low carb version, followed by an infographic with a few more ideas.
makes 9 servings of 1/4 cup each
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp chile pepper spice (I used this Chipotle spice)
- 2 tsp mixed dried herbs (I used a mix of oregano, thyme & rosemary)
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 2 15-oz can of chickpeas, rinsed, drained, and patted dry
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Rinse the chickpeas and let drain. Dry thoroughly with paper towels or a dish towel. The drier they are the crunchier they will be in the end.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the first 5 ingredients (oil, Worcestershire, chile spice, herbs and garlic salt). Add the chickpeas and toss to coat. Spread out the mixture onto a baking sheet.
- Roast 15 minutes.
- Stir in parmesan cheese and roast 25 minutes more or until brown and crisp, stirring twice (beans may pop during roasting). Cool.
- To Store: Store in a breathable (not airtight) container in refrigerator up to 3 days or freeze up to 3 months. To serve, preheat oven to 350 degrees and roast 5 minutes or until crisp
- 131 calories
- 8 g. fat
- 12 g. carbs
- 4 g. protein
Variations on the Seasoning mixes for Low Carb Roasted Chickpeas
The process for roasting chickpeas is pretty similar for all the various recipes. What changes is the seasoning mix you might choose.
Click here for a low carb recipe that uses a harissa spice mix for the chickpeas.
Also, here is a photo of the Parmesan Crisps I mentioned at the beginning of this post. These are a great and convenient low carb snack…. slow carb also! I have seen them in other grocery stores under the brand name “Whisps”.
Online Coaching Available:
I have followed the slow carb diet for 3 years and the keto diet for 2 years now, and I have put my “been there done that” knowledge to work helping people figure it out. I am currently an online diet coach (info can be found here if you’re interested), and have just hit the 300-client mark. Come and visit me and see if online coaching might be for you!
If not for diet, there are other coaches on the site that coach anything from writing a blog, to getting up early, to getting rid of that pesky procrastination. Explore the site while you are there. There are some wonderful coaches and the testimonials will tell you what you need to know. Click here to get to my profile and then explore others from there.