Like many good things, tomato season is fleeting. Because tomatoes have been hybridized to have thick skins so that they ship well, it is difficult to find thin-skinned heirloom tomatoes in Winter at the grocery store. Take advantage of the end of season tomatoes at the farmers’ markets and make up big batches of tomato sauce while the available tomatoes still have flavor.Jump to Recipe
Turning Low Carb Meals into “Comfort Food”
Often people think that diet food, or low carb food, is comprised of salad, vegetables and lean meat. Actually low carb meals can be full of flavor and can be very satiating. Sauces and spices play a huge roll in making low carb dishes feel like “comfort food”
Fresh, robust tomato sauce is certainly one of those sauces that can make a low carb dinner a welcome meal for the whole family, no matter what kind of food preferences or diet they may have. Particularly in the depths of Winter.
One low carb meal that is particularly easy and always popular with a wide range of people is this low carb Spaghetti and Meatball recipe. Try it!
Cooking Tutorial for Freezer Tomato Sauce
More (much more) on Heirloom Tomatoes:
Check out this category for a wide range of posts on how to grow, select and cook with heirloom tomatoes
Low Carb Freezer Tomato Sauce from Fresh Tomatoes
- food mill
- large pot
- 7 lbs fresh tomatoes
- 1 large onion
- 2-4 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tsp spicy chile pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sumac
- Coarsely chop tomatoes, onion and garlic
- Add olive oil to dutch oven or large pot and heat up over medium heat. Add onions and saute about 5 minutes or until caramelized. Add garlic for last 30 seconds
- Add tomatoes, herbs and spices and bring to a simmer over medium high heat. Lower heat and simmer for about 1 hour
- Cool slightly and add a cup of the sauce to the food mill situated over a bowl. Turn the food mill to grind the tomato peels, seeds and pulp, releasing the sauce to the bowl below the food mill.
- Pour the bowl of tomato sauce into ziplock freezer bags (carefully), label with date and place in the freezer
Although I am not currently taking clients for diet & health coaching, I have been a coach for many years with the online service called coach.me. It is a great platform for all kinds of coaching – anything from specific diets, writing a blog, getting up early, or getting rid of that pesky procrastination.
There are some wonderful coaches and the testimonials will tell you what you need to know. Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org to get a referral to some of the tested, experienced online coaches on Coach.me
If you’d like to start with a plan for a low carb or keto lifestyle, check out this detailed guide in ebook form. It may be all you need to lose weight on this lifestyle. Or it may be used as a supplement to one-to-one coaching.