Whether you use a specific green variety of tomato or harvest your regular tomatoes before they turn red, fried green tomatoes are a treat. Typically coated with cornmeal or breadcrumbs, this recipe for low carb fried green tomatoes is made with almond flour and chicharrones and will meet the requirements of a low carb or ketogenic diet without losing a bit of flavor.
How to Pack in the Most Flavor to Low Carb Fried Green Tomatoes
- First of all, start with firm, bright green tomatoes. The variety does make a difference in terms of sweetness but the main thing is to pick them before they are fully ripe. I’ve tried using varieties like Aunt Ruby’s Green, Green Zebra and a few other green varieties when they are yellow-green and fully ripe, but they end up being too soft (yes they are green, but they are ripe green instead of firm and unripe).
- After you have the right tomato selected, add in a little spice. I like a bit of smoky but moderate heat…not too hot, just a little kick. Any of the chile spices work for this. My favorite is the chipotle spice for more intense heat and the Mexican tajin spice blend for mild to medium heat. You can find a good range of mild to hot chile spices here. Any spicy addition will work…just use your favorite or what you have on hand.
- And finally is the coating. Classic versions of Fried Green Tomatoes use a mix of cornmeal and flour, but those are both out on a low carb or keto diet. For the recipe I used almond flour, salt & pepper, and some chipotle spice for the coating. You could also mix in some crushed chicharonnes, which I often add to breading mixtures. Some people will add a tsp of onion powder and 1/2 tsp garlic powder also if you like adding even more robust flavor.
Recipe for Low Carb Fried Green Tomatoes with Poached Eggs
Low Carb Fried Green Tomatoes
For the Fried Tomatoes:
- With a sharp knife, slice the tomatoes about 1/4" thick. Sprinkle with a little salt, and let them sit for a few minutes.
- Crush the chicharrones by placing them in a bag and pounding with the bottom of a glass or something flat and heavy. In a medium size bowl, use a slotted spoon or fork to whisk together the almond flour, the crushed chicharrones, the spices and the salt and pepper.
- In another bowl, whisk together one egg and 2 Tbsp water.
- Heat the oil to medium high but not smoking.
- Using tongs or your hands, dip the tomato slices in the egg/water mixture, then place them in the flour/spice mixture and cover all parts of the tomato slices using a spoon or your hands.
- Set them into the hot oil and fry 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown. Don't overcrowd the skillet with the slices. Work in batches if needed.
- Remove from oil and set onto paper towels to drain.
For the poached eggs:
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Gently crack the remaining 4 eggs into the boiling water and lightly poach them (about 3 min each). Click here to see details on how to poach eggs.
- Serve the eggs over the fried green tomato slices. Drizzle a bit of romesco sauce on top and enjoy!
Online Coaching Available:
I have followed the slow carb diet for 3 years and the keto diet for 2 years now, and I have put my “been there done that” knowledge to work helping people figure it out. I am currently an online diet coach (info can be found here if you’re interested), and have just hit the 250-client mark. Come and visit me and see if online coaching might be for you!
If not for diet, there are other coaches on the site that coach anything from writing a blog, to getting up early, to getting rid of that pesky procrastination. Explore the site while you are there. There are some wonderful coaches and the testimonials will tell you what you need to know. Click here to get to my profile and then explore others from there.