Fish and seafood are wonderful proteins for low carb, slow carb and keto lifestyles. The problem is many people don’t like fish, or find it too bland when made without breading. Enter mustard and ground up almonds! No more bland!
This recipe is one of the low carb fish dinners that highlights cod, but any white fish could be used. I prefer the thicker filets like halibut and cod, but we’ve tried it with sunfish and crappies and it works just fine. I do live in the state of 10,000 lakes after all. Crappies (aka croppies) are just a bit more abundant here than cod and halibut!Jump to Recipe
White Fish Often Needs Enhancement
I’ve been on a high-protein-low-carb diet for years now (alternating between nuanced versions of slow carb, low carb, & ketogenic) and most of the dinner recipes I share on my recipe blog focus on chicken, beef and pork proteins.
I have posted several really tasty dinner dishes using salmon and scallops, but cooking white fish (cod, flounder, tilapia, etc.) often came out “blah”. Easy and quick to make yes, but blah.
This low carb fish recipe (inspired by Eating Well magazine) was still quick and easy, but it also packed a lot of flavor. In addition, it is totally compliant with all the various low carb and keto diets.
Low Carb Breading & Additional Low Carb Fish Dinners:
If you’re looking for other fish dishes compliant with low carb diets, try this scallop on a bed of spinach dish.
For variations on Keto or low carb breading mixes to enhance seafood, click here
Low Carb Fish Dinners: Almond Crusted Cod with Dijon Mustard Base
Low Carb Almond Crusted Cod
- 4 filets cod or other white fish
- 1 med lemon zested and juiced
- 1/2 cup crushed almonds can use a food processor or blender to crush
- 1 Tbsp dill either fresh or from tube
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tsp mild to med. chili spice optional
- 4 tsp Dijon mustard more if you like mustard
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare a baking sheet with either parchment paper laid on top or spray with cooking spray
- Place cod filets on paper towels to drain of water and pat dry. Place on baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon zest, lemon juice, crushed almonds, dill, oil, salt and pepper and chili spice if using.
- Spread each cod filet with a tsp or so of Dijon mustard,smoothing it over the entire top of the filet. Divide the almond mixture among the 4 filets, pressing it evely into the mustard with your hands.Bake the fish until opaue at the thickest part, about 7 minutes for most.cod filets (less time for thin filets).Serve with a green vegetable and lemon slices for a great low carb or keto fish dinner.
Fish is a particularly good option on low carb and keto diets if you prefer avoiding meat. Fatty fish like salmon will keep you full longer and provides the healthy fats your body needs.
If you are experimenting with the nuances of the various low carb diets and want more information on how they differ, click here.
Online Coaching Available:
I have followed the slow carb diet for 2 years, the keto diet for 1 year and now I currently do a nuanced version of the best of both including a 16/8 intermittent fasting protocol. I have put my “been there done that” knowledge to work helping people figure it out and customize the approach that works for them. I am currently an online fitness coach (info can be found here if you’re interested), and have just hit the 325-client mark. Come and visit me and see if online coaching might be for you!
If not for diet or exercise, there are other coaches on the site that coach anything from writing a blog, to getting up early, to getting rid of that pesky procrastination. Explore the site while you are there. There are some wonderful coaches and the testimonials will tell you what you need to know. Click here to get to my profile and then explore others from there.