Leafy greens is one of the cornerstone vegetables of the Slow Carb Diet, and “greens” are starting to take a much higher profile in our meals. Bok Choy is one of those greens that sounds exotic but is actually quick, easy and quite deliciousJump to Recipe
What is Bok Choy Anyway?
Bok Choy is a type of Chinese cabbage that is delicious both raw or cooked. It is easily grown in the garden, particularly duing the cool shoulder seasons of Spring or Fall.
The stems have been likened to celery, but they are not stringy like celery. The leaves are tender and vegetal tasting.
Is it Healthy?
Bok choy is low-calorie, very low carb and packed with vitamins and minerals. One cup contains 1.5 grams carbs and 9 calories
It is high in fiber, vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin A, and beta-carotene, and is an excellent source of folate, calcium, and vitamin B6.
“Healthy” foods have gotten a bad rap in the past as being tasteless. Bok Choy is one of the easiest, quickest, healthiest and tastiest greens you can cook. Hard to go wrong.
How to Serve or Substitute Flavors
Most greens are wonderful with a generous dollop of butter and some sea salt. A few other favorite ways to serve bok choy include:
- Serve with a side of harissa sauce
- Mix it with some cauliflower rice (frozen or freshly made)
- Spice it up with some ground red peppers
- Add a bit of fish sauce to add to the umami flavor of the soy sauce
Other Low Carb Vegetable Side Dishes
Low Carb Bok Choy
- wok or large skillet
- sharp knife
- 1-2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 2 bunches Bok Choy about 8 cups, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Bring the oil to a fairly hot temperature (not smoking however) over medium-high heat
- Add garlic and ginger and saute very quickly (30 seconds), careful not to burn garlic
- Add Bok Choy and soy sauce and cook until wilted (about 5 minutes). Stalks will be crisp but tender.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve with a side of Harissa or your favorite hot sauce.
Although I am not currently taking clients for diet & health coaching, I have been a coach for many years with the online service called coach.me. It is a great platform for all kinds of coaching – anything from specific diets, writing a blog, getting up early, or getting rid of that pesky procrastination.
There are some wonderful coaches and the testimonials will tell you what you need to know. Contact me at email@example.com to get a referral to some of the tested, experienced online coaches on Coach.me
If you’d like to start with a plan for a low carb or keto lifestyle, check out this detailed guide in ebook form. It may be all you need to lose weight on this lifestyle. Or it may be used as a supplement to one-to-one coaching.