Brownies are always a winner for kids and adults alike and a creamy pink buttercream frosting atop a deep, rich chocolate cake brownie is a perfect mix for Valentine’s Day. Adding rosewater to the buttercream frosting elevates it to a more “wow” treat.
High flavor with the right Valentine’s Day color:
Some form of red or pink has to come into play with a Valentine’s Day dessert, and red berries are usually the go-to flavors for mixing with chocolate. I used a Strawberry Lavender jam in one batch and Raspberry Chambord in another.
The specialty jams added wonderful depth of flavor to the brownies, but the color melded into the dark chocolate and did not stand out enough. The enticing rose colors of Valentine’s Day was going to have to come out in the frosting. I remembered seeing a beautiful pink, fluffy frosting a while back that added rosewater.
I sometimes use rosewater in my jams, and love the delicate taste of it if you don’t go overboard. So, add a little rosewater to a buttercream frosting, and presto….a pink, fluffy, tasty Valentines brownie!
Recipe for Strawberry Filled Brownies with Rosewater Frosting:
Ingredients for Brownies:
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened at room temp
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 tsp instant coffee powder, espresso preferably
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup strawberry or raspberry preserves
Directions for Brownies (adapted from Cooking Light):
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 9 x 9-inch baking pan with butter and lightly dust with flour. Run a sink-full of warm soapy water to toss dirty utensils in as you go (optional, but helpful)
- Cream together softened butter and sugar in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, at medium speed until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes). If butter is not at room temp, heat slightly in microwave (about 30 seconds), and stir/whisk until smooth. Do not add hot butter to sugar, let it cool slightly.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add vanilla and coffee powder and beat until combined.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Add dry ingredients to mixer, a cup at a time to avoid the flour flying out of the bowl, and mix on low speed until just combined. Do not over-mix. Fold in chocolate chips with a mixing spoon.
- Spread the dough evenly into the prepared baking pan, making sure it gets into the corners of the pan. Spoon the jam over the top of the brownie batter, as evenly as possible. Swirl the dough into the batter with a butter knife, making sure that it gets deep inside of the batter.
- Smooth out the top of the batter and bake in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, until a knife inserted into the brownies comes out clean. Test for doneness in several areas, as you may get a false positive if you insert knife into the strawberry jam. Cool completely before frosting.
Ingredients for Frosting:
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 c. (8 Tbsp) butter, unsalted and at room temp.
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 2-3 Tbsp heavy cream, 35% fat whipping cream
- 1/4 tsp rosewater
- 3-4 drops red food coloring
Directions for Rosewater Frosting
- Place sugar in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, and add butter in 2 Tbsp increments (to avoid mess), mixing for about 2 minutes on low speed.
- Add vanilla and mix another 2 minutes on low speed.
- Add salt and heavy cream and mix on med-high until soft and fluffy, about 2 more minutes.
- Add rosewater and food coloring ( a drop at a time until you get the pink you desire), and mix until just blended.
These pretty and flavorful brownies were a delight to me. Let’s hope my Valentines think so too!
If you enjoyed this post, I would love it if you would share it via retweeting, facebook, google plus, or whatever share button you prefer. Thanks!