Brownies are always a winner for kids and adults alike and a creamy pink buttercream frosting atop a deep, rich chocolate cake brownie is a perfect mix for Valentine’s Day. Adding rosewater to the buttercream frosting elevates it to a more “wow” treat.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I also earn from qualifying purchases. You can read our disclosure information here–
How to Get the “Pink” Color in Baked Goods
Pink or red colors are usually on the must-have list for Valentines baked goods.
I like to use red berries and/or red jams like strawberry, raspberry, cranberry or currant.
Although the specialty jams add a wonderful depth of flavor to brownies, the dark brown chocolate often blends in with the jam, causing a muted color.
I decided to bring out the pink color in the icing rather than the brownie itself.
If you really want a pink or red color to stand out however, you’ll need to add a bit of food coloring. The good thing is, they have made food color gels so much better and safer these days.
Adding some rosewater to the icing added a subtle flavor that seemed to enhance the “idea” of pink blossoms, while not really changing the color.
I love the delicate taste of rosewater, but be careful that you don’t go overboard or you will get something reminiscent of potpourri.
Strawberry Brownies with Rosewater Icing
- baking pan 9 x 9
Ingredients for Brownies
- ¾ cup unsalted butter softened at room temp
- 1 ¼ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¾ tsp instant coffee powder espresso preferably
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup strawberry or raspberry preserves
Ingredients for Frosting
- 2 cups powdered sugar sifted
- ½ c. 8 Tbsp butter, unsalted and at room temp.
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 2-3 Tbsp heavy cream 35% fat whipping cream
- ¼ tsp rosewater
- 3-4 drops red food coloring
To make the brownies:
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 9 x 9-inch baking pan with butter and lightly dust with flour. Run a sink-full of warm soapy water to toss dirty utensils in as you go (optional, but helpful)
- Cream together room temperature (softened) butter and sugar in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, at medium speed until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes). If butter is not at room temp, heat slightly in microwave (about 30 seconds), and stir/whisk until smooth. Do not add hot butter to sugar, let it cool slightly.3/4 cup unsalted butter, 1 1/4 cup sugar
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add vanilla and coffee powder and beat until combined.2 eggs, 3/4 tsp instant coffee powder, 1 tsp vanilla
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Add dry ingredients to mixer, a cup at a time to avoid the flour flying out of the bowl, and mix on low speed until just combined. Do not over-mix. Fold in chocolate chips with a mixing spoon.1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 3/4 cup cocoa powder, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Spread the dough evenly into the prepared baking pan, making sure it gets into the corners of the pan. Spoon the jam over the top of the brownie batter, as evenly as possible. Swirl the dough into the batter with a butter knife, making sure that it gets deep inside of the batter.1/2 cup strawberry or raspberry preserves
- Smooth out the top of the batter and bake in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, until a knife inserted into the brownies comes out clean. Test for doneness in several areas, as you may get a false positive if you insert knife into the strawberry jam. Cool completely before frosting.
For the Frosting:
- Place sugar in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, and add butter in 2 Tbsp increments (to avoid mess), mixing for about 2 minutes on low speed.2 cups powdered sugar, 1/2 c. 8 Tbsp butter, unsalted and at room temp.
- Add vanilla and mix another 2 minutes on low speed.1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Add salt and heavy cream and mix on med-high until soft and fluffy, about 2 more minutes.Pinch of salt, 2-3 Tbsp heavy cream
- Add rosewater and food coloring ( a drop at a time until you get the pink you desire), and mix until just blended.1/4 tsp rosewater, 3-4 drops red food coloring
These pretty and flavorful brownies were a delight to share with my family. These “limoncello blondies” are the brownies I put in Spring care packages.
If you enjoyed this post, I would love it if you would share it via retweeting, facebook, google plus, or whatever share button you prefer. Thanks!