Skewered Summer produce (aka kebabs) is an easy and flexible low carb dinner. This mustard and rosemary marinade is excellent for the pork part of the kebabs, and a simple garlic-rosemary oil is basted on the skewered vegetables before grilling or roasting.Jump to Recipe
The Flexibility of Kebabs (aka skewers, satays, or kebobs)
Kebabs, skewers, satays…they are versatile meals that make it easy to please the vegetarians, the picky kids or the discerning foodie.
The mustard and rosemary marinade could just as easily work for chicken or lamb, but pork and mustard are a classic pairing so I went with pork.
As long as the rosemary was being chopped up for the pork kebabs, I used it with a little garlic and oil for the veggie skewers.
There is a huge range of fresh seasonal vegetables that work well in grilled kebabs.
I’d like to try some portobello mushrooms and some asparagus and maybe some kohlrabi in the next round.
Just pick your favorites with an eye toward different colors to please the visual palate and you can’t go wrong!
More Kebab Recipes:
- Try these Mexican style kebabs with a Mexican dipping sauce;
- or try some Salmon and vegetable skewers on an indoor grill
- or get the lowdown on using the “Griddler” (an indoor grill) for Thai style kebabs or kebabs with a peanut butter marinade!
Summer Kebabs with Rosemary-Mustard Baste
- Indoor or outdoor grill
Mustard-Rosemary Marinade on Pork
- 1/4 cup whole grain mustard
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3-5 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp white wine or champagne vinegar
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary needles or leaves
- 2 tsp paprika I like smoked paprika but any kind is fine
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 lb Boneless pork tenderloin, chops or shoulder (boneless)
Garlic-Rosemary Basting Oil for Veggies
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 2 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 cup Sliced zucchini could substitute eggplant, mushrooms or other vegetable
- 1/2 pint Cherry tomatoes could substitute bell peppers
- 1 med Onion Quartered (could substitute in fennel)
- In a medium bowl, make mustard marinade by whisking together mustards, garlic, vinegar, soy sauce, honey, rosemary, paprika and salt and pepper. Reserve 1/3 cup for later basting of kebabs.
- Cut pork into bite-sized chunks and add to the bowl of marinade, turning chunks to cover well. Cover bowl with saran wrap and marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes (or in refrigerator up to 2 hours).
- Meanwhile, fire up the grill and get it hot if you are grilling. I used an indoor grill turned up to the highest heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together basting sauce for veggies (olive oil, garlic, and rosemary). Thread veggies and marinated pork cubes onto skewers and baste veggies with rosemary oil.
- Place skewers on hot grill, turning once, about 5 minutes on each side. You may want to baste pork with marinade before turnin on the other side.