Hurry up Summer! Kebabs are so easy and crowd friendly and you can change them up with all kinds of different basting marinades. I love this mustard and rosemary basting marinade for pork kebabs, and then I lightened it up a bit with a simple garlic-rosemary basting oil for the vegetable skewers.
Kebabs, skewers, satays…they are versatile meals that make it easy to please the vegetarians, the picky kids or the discerning foodie. The mustard and rosemary marinade could just as easily work for chicken or lamb, but pork and mustard are a classic pairing so I went with pork. As long as the rosemary was being chopped up for the pork kebabs, I used it with a little garlic and oil for the veggie skewers.
There is a huge range of fresh seasonal vegetables that work well in grilled kebabs. I’d like to try some portobello mushrooms and some asparagus and maybe some kohlrabi in the next round. Just pick your favorites with an eye toward different colors to please the visual palate and you can’t go wrong!
Mustard-Rosemary Pork Kebabs & Veggie Skewers
Mustard Marinade for Pork:
- 1/4 cup whole grain mustard
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3-5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp white wine or champagne vinegar
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary needles (or leaves)
- 2 tsp Spanish paprika
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 lbs. pork tenderloin or boneless pork chops
Basting Sauce for Veggie Skewers
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
- mixed fresh veggies (could include: zucchini, eggplant, fennel, red onion, cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, portobello mushrooms, etc.)
- In a medium bowl, make mustard marinade by whisking together mustards, garlic, vinegar, soy sauce, honey, rosemary, paprika and salt and pepper. Reserve 1/3 cup for later basting of kebabs.
- Cut pork into bite-sized chunks and add to the bowl of marinade, turning chunks to cover well. Cover bowl with saran wrap and marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes (or in refrigerator up to 2 hours).
- While pork is marinating, soak 10-15 bamboo skewers in cold water for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, fire up the grill and get it hot.
- In a small bowl, whisk together basting sauce for veggies (olive oil, garlic, and rosemary). Thread veggies onto skewers and baste with rosemary oil. Place veggie skewers hot grill, turning once. About 5 minutes on each side.
- While veggie skewers are cooking, thread marinated pork pieces onto bamboo skewers and brush generously with reserved basting sauce (I alternate pork chunks with chunks of onion). Remove veggie skewers from grill and put on the pork kebabs.
- Grill pork kebabs, basting every 3 minutes or so until pork is cooked through and turning once after about 5 minutes.