This low carb Jicama Slaw made with Mexican tajin aioli (a chile-lime spread) is an awesome topper for fish sandwiches or for fish tacos. The low carb issue for sandwiches is always around the bread or buns. A recipe for the low carb buns used in this recipe can be found here. Otherwise use this delicious slaw in any number of ways to top off your proteins or just on it’s own!
What is Tajin aioli?
Tajin is actually a brand name of a chile-lime-salt blend and when you add this blend to mayonnaise you have a chile-lime aioli. Tajin is a staple on just about every table in Mexican restaurants.
How to Use Chile-Lime Spice Blend Known as Tajin
The most popular way to use the chile-lime-spice blend is to sprinkle it over fresh fruits and vegetables. Click here for a tutorial on how to prepare the DIY chile lime salt and the fruit cups. It adds a wonderfully fresh, citrusy, spicy taste to the fruit that combines wonderfully with the fruit’s natural sweetness.
Although you can sprinkle it over any fruit or vegetable, the most popular candidates are slices of watermelon and mangos, crunchy bites of apples, slices of cucumbers and slices of jicama.
The chile-lime seasoning blend is also great in marinades or spice rubs for chicken, fish, shrimp, and even steak for a completely different flavor.
Another fun way to use the chile-lime spice blend known as Tajin is as a rimmer for drinks! Coat the rims of glasses for drinks like Micheladas, Bloody Marys, Margaritas, or non-alcoholic spritzers.
I recently saw some paletas (ice pops) with the chile-lime spice blend seasoning sprinkled on top.
And finally, add some chile-lime spice blend to some mayonnaise for a Tajin aioli like the recipe below!
Tajin aioli & Jicama Slaw on a fish sandwich
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tsp tajin seasoning mix
- 1 small jicama peeled and thinly chopped or julienned
- 5 tomatillos peeled and chopped
- 1 lime juiced
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped or minced
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 2 Tbsp refined olive oil
- 2 eggs lightly beaten with wire whip
- 1 cup chicharrones smashed and crumbled
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese finely grated or the Kraft version
- 2 4-oz Tilapia filets use red snapper if available
- 2 low carb buns
- 1 tomato sliced
- In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise and the tajin seasoning (test how hot the seasoning is – some are quite hot and some are medium).
- Combine the next 6 ingredients plus 2 Tbsp of the tajin mayo mix in a large bowl (make sure everything is chopped to be bite size or in thin matchsticks). Cover and place in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Crush the chicharonnes and stir together the chicharonnes and the parmesan. Dry the fish filets thoroughly with paper towels. Heat oil to quite hot in large skillet. Dip the filets first in the beaten eggs and then in the breading crumbs and place in hot skillet.
- Lightly fry breaded fish for about 2-3 minutes and then turn and fry on the other side. Transfer the fish to a plate.
- To serve: spread the buns with the tajin mayonnaise. Top the rolls with the slaw, the tomatoes and the fish. Place the slaw on the table for those who want more!