This low carb Jicama Slaw made with Mexican tajin spice aioli is an awesome topper for fish sandwiches or for fish tacos. The problem for this kind of low carb fare is always the bread, buns or taco shells. A recipe for the low carb buns used in this recipe can be found here. Otherwise use this delicious slaw in any number of ways to top off your proteins or just on it’s own!
Low Carb Fish Sandwich with Jicama Slaw
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tsp tajin seasoning mix
- 1 small jicama peeled and thinly chopped or julienned
- 5 tomatillos peeled and chopped
- 1 lime juiced
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped or minced
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 2 Tbsp refined olive oil
- 2 eggs lightly beaten with wire whip
- 1 cup chicharrones smashed and crumbled
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese finely grated or the Kraft version
- 2 4-oz Tilapia filets use red snapper if available
- 2 low carb buns
- 1 tomato sliced
- In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise and the tajin seasoning (test how hot the seasoning is – some are quite hot and some are medium).
- Combine the next 6 ingredients plus 2 Tbsp of the tajin mayo mix in a large bowl (make sure everything is chopped to be bite size or in thin matchsticks). Cover and place in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Crush the chicharonnes and stir together the chicharonnes and the parmesan. Dry the fish filets thoroughly with paper towels. Heat oil to quite hot in large skillet. Dip the filets first in the beaten eggs and then in the breading crumbs and place in hot skillet.
- Lightly fry breaded fish for about 2-3 minutes and then turn and fry on the other side. Transfer the fish to a plate.
- To serve: spread the buns with the tajin mayonnaise. Top the rolls with the slaw, the tomatoes and the fish. Place the slaw on the table for those who want more!