The basil pureed into the mayonnaise is the secret ingredient that takes this classic BLT over the top. Simple Summer fare that can’t be beat.Jump to Recipe
Use the Best (and Freshest) Ingredients
If you’re going to keep the BLT simple and classic, you want to use the best ingredients possible. Here’s what to look for:
- Sourdough bread (toasted),
- thick cut bacon,
- heirloom tomatoes
- crisp frilly butterleaf lettuce
- real mayonnaise. I added one small tweek to these classic ingredients which takes the sandwich over the top in taste…..fresh basil pureed into the mayonnaise. It’s a simple addition that adds a ton of complimentary flavor
A Good BLT for Winter
It’s rare to find a tomato that has flavor in the Winter when you are relegated to the grocery store, and it is my opinion that it’s not really worth it. That’s not to say you can’t enjoy a good BLT in the Winter. Try this Preseason BLT with tomato jam to satisfy the craving when the fresh heirloom tomatoes are not yet ripe.
We smoke our heirloom Roma type tomatoes in the Fall and make it into this delectable Smoked Tomato Jam for cheesy tomato sandwiches year-round.
Classic BLT with Basil Mayo
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves packed into cup
- 3 pieces bacon I like thick cut
- 1 med heirloom tomato
- kosher salt to taste
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- frilly lettuce to taste
- In a food processor, puree the mayonnaise with the fresh basil leaves.
- In a skillet, fry the bacon over med-high heat until crisp (about 3-5 minutes) and remove to drain on a paper towel when browned to your desired preference. While the bacon is cooking thickly slice the tomatoes and sprinkle lightly with kosher salt to bring out the flavor even more.
- Toast the bread in a toaster or in the top rack of the oven with the broiler turned to high. Watch carefully if using the broiler as it doesn’t take long.
- Assemble the sandwiches by spreading the basil mayo on the golden brown toast, then add the bacon on top of the mayo, the tomatoes on top of the bacon, and the frilly lettuce on top of the tomatoes. Finish with the top slice of toasted sourdough. Summer!!