The old fashioned cocktail called a Salty Dog is simple to make. The saltiness of the rim mixed with the sweetness and tang of the grapefruit juice just makes it a totally delightful drink. To enhance this drink even further add a dash of cinnamon vanilla infused simple syrup. Refreshing porch cocktail on a Spring day (like Earth Day or Mother’s Day)!
Using Drink Syrups in Cocktails
The recipe below is for a classic salty dog cocktail. To make it even easier (and tastier in my opinion) you can use a shrub syrup or simple syrup made with fresh grapefruit.
Or try this homemade sour mix using fresh citrus juices to customize your drink syrup, whether you like grapefruit or prefer just lemon and lime juices.
Mixology with Drink Syrups
Both the tangy shrub syrups and the sweeter simple syrups have their place in beverages. It is really just a matter of taste.
Fruit shrub syrups are essentially simple syrups with infused fruit and added vinegar. They can add a depth and complexity that you might not get with a simple syrup and they are, of course, less sweet.
Mixology is the art of making cocktails with unique flavors and additions and is actually similar to baking. The core ingredients are always there in varying ratios and then you can get creative with flavor enhancement around this core.
Details around making your own shrub syrups or simple syrups can be found in this tutorial on mixology.
Recipe for a Salty Dog Cocktail
Salty Dog Cocktail
- Highball glass
- Small plate for rimming glass
- small plate of kosher salt for rimming the glass
- 1 ½ oz vodka or gin
- 3 oz. grapefruit juice see notes for enhancment with syrups
- 2 oz sparkling water Optional
- Use a lemon or lime wedge to wet the rim of a highball glass. Then dip the rim in the plate of salt.small plate of kosher salt for rimming the glass
- Add the vodka (or gin) and grapefruit juice to a shaker. Stir, don't shake. Pour over ice in the highball glass.1 1/2 oz vodka or gin, 3 oz. grapefruit juice
- Top off with some sparkling water (optional). Garnish with a grapefruit slice.2 oz sparkling water
Online Diet/Health Coaching:
Although I am not currently taking clients for diet & health coaching, I was a coach for many years with the online service called coach.me. It is a great platform for all kinds of coaching – anything from specific diets, writing a blog, getting up early, or getting rid of that pesky procrastination.
There are some wonderful coaches and the testimonials will tell you what you need to know. Contact me at [email protected] to get a referral to some of the tested, experienced online coaches on Coach.me.