This dish was inspired by a restaurant in Denver, CO called Thai Basil. It’s delicious, healthy and quite simple to make.
Is Pineapple Low Carb?
The pineapple and water chestnuts take this dish out of the running for strict low carb or slow carb, but it is full of healthy ingredients and pretty low in calories
For a low carb chicken dinner with Asian flavors click here.
Is Pineapple Thai Curry Spicy?
The level of spiciness in this curry is determined mostly by whether you add the optional red pepper flakes. The recipe uses a green curry powder, which has a bit of spice, but it varies by brand.
The ginger adds a warm heat, but is not what most people would consider ”spicy”
This post may contain affiliate links, and you can read our disclosure information here–
Pineapple Chicken Thai Curry Bowl
- wok (Or large skillet)
- measuring spoons and cups
- several small bowls
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 large chicken breasts cut into 1″ chunks
- 2 Tbsp grated ginger
- 4 cloves cloves minced
- ½ cup green curry paste
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 cup sliced water chestnuts
- 2 cups crushed pineapple slightly drained
- 1 roasted red bell pepper sliced or chopped (bottled roasted pepper is fine)
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- ½ to 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes optional
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 12 grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 lb frozen mussels
- fresh cilantro leaves
- Get all of the ingredients cut up and measured out into small bowls so you can add things quickly (this is your mise en place)3 large chicken breasts, 2 Tbsp grated ginger, 4 cloves cloves, 1 roasted red bell pepper
- In a large pan or wok, warm up the oil and then add the chicken. Cook chicken about 5 minutes until done all the way through.2 Tbsp olive oil, 3 large chicken breasts
- Add the ginger and garlic and cook briefly (1-2 minutes). Add the curry paste, mixing it in well with the chicken.2 Tbsp grated ginger, 4 cloves cloves, 1/2 cup green curry paste
- Add the chicken stock, sugar, turmeric, water chestnuts, pineapple, roasted red peppers and fish sauce. Add the hot pepper flakes if using. Cover and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes.1/2 cup chicken stock, 2 tsp brown sugar, 1 tsp turmeric, 1 cup sliced water chestnuts, 2 cups crushed pineapple, 1 roasted red bell pepper, 2 Tbsp fish sauce, 1/2 to 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Add the coconut milk and mix in thoroughly. Add the tomatoes and cook until they are soft (about 3-5 minutes). If you are using mussels, add them at this point and cover for a few minutes until they open.1 cup coconut milk, 12 grape or cherry tomatoes, 1 lb frozen mussels
- Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves and serve.fresh cilantro leaves
This is a high flavor dish and you won’t miss the rice at all if you are eating slow carb or low carb. Enjoy!