Cauliflower seems to be the favorite low carb substitute for a range of comfort foods, including tortillas, pizza crust and mashed potatoes. I’ve made them all to varying degrees of success, but this keto mashed cauliflower as a substitute for mashed potatoes is by far the best tasting in my mind. It is great for celebrations like Thanksgiving or as a side dish for an easy weeknight meal.
It wasn’t long (two dinner’s worth) before my family preferred the keto mashed cauliflower over traditional mashed potatoes. Even my athletic son who wasn’t the slightest interested in a low carb or keto diet came to prefer it.
The bonus is that they are quick and easy to make. We even slipped it in at Thanksgiving and grandma had no idea that it wasn’t her beloved mashed Yukon Gold potatoes. Grandma is 96 years old, but still. She’s had a lot of mashed potatoes in her life and this one slipped right by her.
Easy Low Carb, Keto Mashed Cauliflower
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1/4 cup Parmesan shredded with grater
- 1 Tbsp cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1-2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon chicken bouillon may substitute 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 Tbsp parsley chopped for garnish
- Set a large pot of water to boil over high heat.
- Cut cauliflower in quarters and cut out stem of each quarter. Pull off any green leaves that may be left. Break the cauliflower into florets and place the florets in boiling water for about 6-8 minutes, or until tender when pricked with a fork. Drain well in a strainer.
- While cauliflower is cooking measure out the remaining ingredients (your mise en place). Pour (dump) the hot, drained cauliflower into a food processor. Add the parmesan, cream cheese, butter garlic, bouillon and salt. Puree until smooth and creamy (pulse a few time before pressing the puree button).
- To serve: Empty contents of food processor into serving bowl and sprinkle with chopped parsley. Additional butter can be added to taste.
If you want the recipe for the mock fried chicken shown in the picture above click here.
Online Coaching Available:
I have followed the slow carb diet for 3 years and the keto diet for 2 years now, and I have put my “been there done that” knowledge to work helping people figure it out. I am currently an online diet coach (info can be found here if you’re interested), and have just hit the 250 client mark. Come and visit me and see if online coaching might be for you!
If not for diet, there are other coaches on the site that coach anything from writing a blog, to getting up early, to getting rid of that pesky procrastination. Explore the site while you are there. There are some wonderful coaches and the testimonials will tell you what you need to know. Click here to get to my profile and then explore others from there.