Cauliflower seems to be the favorite low carb substitute for a range of comfort foods, including tortillas, pizza crust and mashed potatoes. I’ve made them all to varying degrees of success, but this easy mashed cauliflower, which stands in as a substitute for mashed potatoes,is by far the best tasting in my opinion. It is great for celebrations like Thanksgiving or as a side dish for an easy weeknight meal.Jump to Recipe
Does Mashed Cauliflower Really Taste Like Mashed Potatoes?
It wasn’t long (two dinner’s worth) before my family preferred the low carb mashed cauliflower over traditional mashed potatoes. Even my athletic son who wasn’t the slightest interested in a low carb or keto diet came to prefer it.
The bonus is that they are quick and easy to make. We even slipped it in at Thanksgiving and grandma had no idea that it wasn’t her beloved mashed Yukon Gold potatoes.
Grandma is 96 years old, but still. She’s had a lot of mashed potatoes in her life and this one slipped right by her.
Another easy low carb cauliflower recipe that is great as a side dish is baked cauliflower with saffron an olives. It is quite robust with a Middle Eastern flavor profile.
Easy Low Carb, Keto Mashed Cauliflower
- 1 head of cauliflower
- ¼ cup Parmesan Fresh & shredded with grater
- 1 Tbsp cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1-2 cloves garlic chopped
- ⅛ teaspoon chicken bouillon may substitute 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ½ tsp salt may want to exclude if using chicekn bouillon
- 1 Tbsp parsley chopped for garnish
- Set a large pot of water to boil over high heat.
- Cut cauliflower in quarters and cut out stem of each quarter. Pull off any green leaves that may be left. Break the cauliflower into florets and place the florets in boiling water for about 6-8 minutes, or until tender when pricked with a fork. Drain well in a strainer.1 head of cauliflower
- While cauliflower is cooking measure out the remaining ingredients (your mise en place). Pour (dump) the hot, drained cauliflower into a food processor. Add the parmesan, cream cheese, butter garlic, bouillon and salt. Puree until smooth and creamy (pulse a few time before pressing the puree button).1/4 cup Parmesan, 1 Tbsp cream cheese, 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, 1-2 cloves garlic, 1/8 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- To serve: Empty contents of food processor into serving bowl and sprinkle with chopped parsley. Additional butter can be added to taste.1 Tbsp parsley
Watch the Step by Step Video for More Details
Online Diet/Health Coaching:
Although I am not currently taking clients for diet & health coaching, I have been a coach for many years with the online service called coach.me. It is a great platform for all kinds of coaching – anything from specific diets, writing a blog, getting up early, or getting rid of that pesky procrastination.
There are some wonderful coaches and the testimonials will tell you what you need to know. Contact me at [email protected] to get a referral to some of the tested, experienced online coaches on Coach.me
If you’d like to start with a plan for a low carb or keto lifestyle, check out this detailed guide in ebook form. It may be all you need to lose weight on this lifestyle. Or it may be used as a supplement to one-to-one coaching.