Cauliflower is a mainstay of many low carb diets. There are many different ways to prepare it however, and this simple baked cauliflower dish becomes special with the robust additions of saffron and olives. It is easy enough for weeknight dinners and elegant enough for the Thanksgiving table.
This post may contain affiliate links, and you can read our disclosure information here–
Probably the most popular way to use cauliflower for low carb side dishes is this mashed cauliflower recipe. The mashed cauliflower dish can easily take the place of mashed potatoes on the holiday table to please those on a low carb diet.
The best thing about both of these low carb cauliflower side dishes however is the taste! Cauliflower can be bland and tasteless. Not so with the baked cauliflower and saffron olive recipe! Not so with faux mashed potatoes using cauliflower!
Baked Cauliflower with Saffron and Green Ollives
- small bowl
- large bowl
- 2 tsp saffron
- ⅓ cup boiling water
- 1 head cauliflower broken into individual florets
- 1 red onion sliced
- ½ cup green olives pitted and cut in half lengthways
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 4 Tbsp chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Release the oils and fragrance of the saffron by placing it in a small bowl, pouring the boiling water over it, and allowing it to sit for about 5 minutes2 tsp saffron, 1/3 cup boiling water
- In a large bowl add the cauliflower, onion, olives, olive oil, bay leaves, and salt and pepper. Pour the infused saffron water over the mix in the bowl and mix together well with your hands, coating the cauliflower with the oil and spices.1 head cauliflower, 1 red onion, 1/2 cup green olives, 4 Tbsp olive oil, 2 bay leaves, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper
- Spoon the mixture into an 9 x 11 inch baking pan and cover with foil. Bake for a total of 40 to 45 minutes, stirring the mixture after 20 minutes and placing the foil back on to cover for another 20 minutes. Cauliflower should be fork tender, but not mushy.
- Remove the cauliflower from the oven, uncover, and allow to cool for about 5 minutes. Stir in the parslet and adjust the salt and pepper if you would like more. Serve warm.4 Tbsp chopped parsley