The variety of Mexican moles are all unique and delicious, but the required pepper roasting, peeling and rehydrating can be a bit daunting. Using a ground mole blend of chiles and spices is the key to making a more achievable mole. Try this low carb Chicken Mole Rojo with a mole spice blend for an easy low carb Chicken Mole that has tons of deep robust flavor.
Powdered Mole Spice Blends
We grow and smoke chile peppers at HeathGlen farm so it was an easy next step to make this chocolaty, spicy blend. If you want to make your own spice blend, this recipe looked simple, although lacking in some of the heat a variety of chiles can bring. Just be sure and use the freshest powders and ingredients you can find!
Mole spice blends can be used to make beef, chicken, pork, or vegetable mole. Also try adding a tablespoon or two to your next pot of red chili for some chocolaty notes of flavor.
Recipe for Low Carb (or Keto) Chicken Mole:
Low Carb Chicken Mole Rojo
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 Tbsp peanut butter
- 1 oz mole spice mix
- 8-9 pieces chicken legs or thighs
- 2-3 Tbsp. sesame seeds optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Heat oil in large skillet and add chopped onion. Saute about 5 minutes or until translucent (add 2 tsp minced garlic for last minute if desired). Add chicken broth and simmer for 15 minutes. Let it cool a bit.
- While onion mix is cooling, place chicken pieces in 9 x 11 baking dish and drizzle with a bit of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes
- While chicken is baking, pour cooled onion mix into blender or food processor and add peanut butter and mole spice blend. Blend until smooth.
- When chicken has cooked for 20 minutes, remove from oven and pour mole-peanut butter sauce over chicken in baking dish. Place back in oven and cook for 20 more minutes at 400.
- Garnish with sesame seeds over the sauce and serve.
Online Coaching Available:
I have followed the slow carb diet for 2 years, the keto diet for 1 year and now I currently do a nuanced version of the best of both including a 16/8 intermittent fasting protocol. I have put my “been there done that” knowledge to work helping people figure it out and customize the approach that works for them. I am currently an online fitness coach (info can be found here if you’re interested), and have just hit the 325-client mark. Come and visit me and see if online coaching might be for you!
If not for diet or exercise, there are other coaches on the site that coach anything from writing a blog, to getting up early, to getting rid of that pesky procrastination. Explore the site while you are there. There are some wonderful coaches and the testimonials will tell you what you need to know. Click here to get to my profile and then explore others from there.