Over the years I’ve made countless varieties chili recipes, but this one is hands down my favorite. Why? Because it tastes great, it’s easy to make, and it fits a slow carb diet. Make a large batch. The leftovers just get better and better and it makes for great portable slow carb lunches.Jump to Recipe
Note on Slow Carb Crockpot Chili Ingredients:
Just as a heads-up, I did use an ingredient specific to our farm products – the fresh smoked paprika. Using storebought paprika for this ingredient is fine. As with all spices, aim for the freshest spice you can find. They lose their potency on the store shelves over time.
If you prefer a spice with more heat, the smoked chipotle is good also. There is quite a range in heat for chipotle spices. Ours is on the hotter end of the heat scale.
Another ingredient that can add depth to the chile would be sun dried tomatoes. I used tomato paste to get the more robust flavor, but sun-dried tomatoes can be a great substitute. If you are in the mood to dry your own tomatoes, check out: how-to on drying your own tomatoes.
Low Carb Accompaniments for Crockpot Chile
- Sliced avocados
- thinly sliced scallions
- hot sauce
- cheddar cheese
- sour cream
Slow Carb Chile for the Slow Cooker
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 6 garlic cloves finely chopped (can use 2 1/2 tsp bottled garlic in oil)
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin freshly ground if possible
- 2 1/2 tsp freshly ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika spice can use dried red pepper flakes or smoked chipotle for more heat
- 2 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 14 oz tomato sauce
- 15 oz black beans drained and rinsed
- 15 oz red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 2 Tbsp Tomato paste
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook stirring frequently until soft and translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add garlic, and the rest of the spices and stir thoroughly into the onions to coat. Cook only for about 1 minute (until fragranand then add the ground beef and cook together about 5-8 minutes, or until ground beef is no longer pink.
- Scrape the mixture into the slow cooker and add the salt, tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans and tomato paste. Mix everything together well in the slow cooker, Cover and cook over low heat for 6-8 hours
- Serve with your choice of low carb accompaniments: sour cream, avocado, green onions, aged cheddar cheese
Although I am not currently taking clients for diet & health coaching, I have been a coach for many years with the online service called coach.me. It is a great platform for all kinds of coaching – anything from specific diets, writing a blog, getting up early, or getting rid of that pesky procrastination. Explore the site through the link below. There are some wonderful coaches and the testimonials will tell you what you need to know. You can always contact me to get referrals also. Click here to get to my profile and then explore others from there.