It’s time to bring out the lighter flavors of Spring (finally), and these low carb chicken patties paired with a snow pea saute is as fresh and easy as it gets. The lemon and parsley give the chicken patties a lot of the high acid zest and the snow peas with peanuts add a wonderful light crunch. As a bonus, it’s quick, easy and inexpensive!
I have never cooked anything with ground chicken before and the idea initially put me off a bit. I’m not sure why because I enjoy ground pork and ground buger on a fairly consistent basis. Convinced by a friend who is a good cook that it was something I should try, I went ahead and gave it a whirl. My anxiety increased even more when I tried forming the raw chicken mix into burger patties and the texture was so different from hamburger patties (looser and a little mushy). But then…magic! Once I got them into the hot oil and crisped up, they were perfect burgers – moist on the inside and crispy on the outside. And really full of fresh flavor!
The snow peas only take a couple of minutes to cook and it goes really fast if you chop up your add-ins ahead of time (the mise en place to be technical). It’s a perfect accompaniment to this spring dish which got raves from the picky family.
Recipe for Low Carb Chicken Burgers with Snow Pea Saute
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1 tsp caraway seeds, crushed
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp grapeseed oil for frying
- fresh lemon wedges for serving
- If you have time, lightly toast the caraway seeds before crushing to bring out flavor (optional).
- In a large bowl, mix together thoroughly all ingredients except frying oil and lemon wedges.
- Heat frying oil in large skillet over high heat until shimmering. Form the chicken mixture into patties (they will be somewhat loose and more mushy than making hamburger patties). Ease the patties into the hot oil with a spatula so they do not break apart, and turn the heat to medium-high. Fry the patties for about 3-4 minutes and then flip with a spatula. Fry on the flipped side for 4-6 minutes or until golden brown and crispy and done on inside (may have to cover skillet for last couple of minutes to speed cooking on the inside.
- Remove to drain on paper towels and cook snow peas. Serve with lemon wedges to squeeze on patties before eating.
RECIPE FOR SNOW PEA SAUTE
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb snow peas, tendrils trimmed
- 6-8 scallions, chopped into 1-inch lengths
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 3 Tbsp crushed peanuts (I used dry roasted)
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- Heat oil over high heat in wok or large stainless steel pan. When it is sizzling hot, add snow peas, scallions and pepper flakes and stir constantly until lightly charred (2-3 minutes). Peas should be bright green and still crisp.
- To the skillet add garlic, ginger and sesame oil, toss and cook one more minute.
- Sprinkle with peanuts and cilantro and serve with chicken patties.