Chimichurri sauce only takes 10 minutes to make, and is often used to add a fresh, acidic tang to tender, slow cooked meat. This recipe pairs chimichurri with an 8-pound brisket that cooks 10 hours at 250 degrees F. It is very easy to make, but be sure to think ahead for the cook time.Jump to Recipe
What does Chimichurri Taste Like
Chimichurri is an Argentinian sauce with a fresh herbal flavor and a wonderful acidic tang that can really bring a dish to life.
It typically includes parsley, oregano, garlic, vinegar (usually red wine vinegar), olive oil, and flakes of chile pepper, and is often referred to as ‘Argentine barbecue sauce’.
The fresh herbs give it a refreshing vegetal taste, the amount of garlic adds pungency and the vinegar makes it a bit tangy. Chile pepper can add a bit of heat, but chimichurri doesn’t always include chile spice.
10 Great Ways to Use Chimichurri Sauce
- On grilled bread or as a crostini
- Add it to a pasta dish or pasta salad
- Use as a filling for a burger (or a topping as an open-faced burger)
- Add it to a wrap or gyro
- Add to pork tacos, fish tacos, or steak tacos
- Combine with scrambled eggs or other egg dishes
- Add a dollop to a bowl of soup or chorizo stew
- Replace basil with chimichurri in a caprese dish
- Use it as a salad dressing with lots of chopped veggies
- Toss it with white beans as a salad or side dish
While typically paired with meat dishes, chimichurri is a wonderful topping for roasted cauliflower or other vegetables.
How Long will it Keep?
The amount of fat in beef brisket allows it to be reheated without drying out or experiencing a loss of flavor. Chimichurri will last in the refrigerator for several days without losing its freshness, and the oil in the chimichuri adds moisture and freshness to the brisket after it has been reheated.
Brisket and Chimichurri for a Crowd
Beef brisket is a large cut of meat and it is perfect for potlucks or large gatherings.
Thinly slice the brisket, removing the larger pieces of fat. If it has been sitting in the refrigerator, heat it up just a little on the stovetop or in a microwave. Serve with room temperature Chimichuri either on the side as a dip or spooned on top of the brisket slices.
Keep the parsley out of your teeth and you enjoy the companionship of your friends, family or co-workers!
More Sauces to Pair with Low Carb Dinners
Harissa, Romesco or Chimichurri for low carb dinners (or vegetable sides)
Chimichurri Topped Beef Brisket
- broiler pan
Beef brisket ingredients
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp ground coriander
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 8- lb beef brisket well marbled with good layer of fat (aka point cut)
- 2 cups cilantro leaves
- 2 cups flat leafed parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup champagne vinegar
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes can use 1 fresh jalapeno instead
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
Instructions for the beef brisket
- Preheat oven to 250° F. Combine all of the spices in a small bowl, mixing together with your hands or a whisk.
- Rub the beef brisket all over with the spice mix and place in an ungreased broiler pan or baking pan with high sides.
- Place the brisket in the oven and leave it alone for 10 hours. No basting, no turning. Easy. The fat and some of the spice mix will pool at the bottom of the pan and you can reserve some of this with the bits to use in a sauce if you like.
Instructions for the the chimichurri sauce
- Combine all ingredients except the parsley in a food processor until finely chopped. Add the parsley and pulse until a pesto-like consistency is reached. Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to use. Will keep 3-4 days.
Although I am not currently taking clients for diet & health coaching, I have been a coach for many years with the online service called coach.me. It is a great platform for all kinds of coaching – anything from specific diets, writing a blog, getting up early, or getting rid of that pesky procrastination.
There are some wonderful coaches and the testimonials will tell you what you need to know. Contact me at email@example.com to get a referral to some of the tested, experienced online coaches on Coach.me
If you’d like to start with a plan for a low carb or keto lifestyle, check out this detailed guide in ebook form. It may be all you need to lose weight on this lifestyle. Or it may be used as a supplement to one-to-one coaching.