Low Carb Refried Black Beans (from a can)
The perfect easy-to-make side dish for any Mexican cuisine.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 jalapeno seeded and chopped
- 1 medium garlic clove pressed or finely grated
- 1 15 1/2-ounce can black beans, including liquid
- 1/2 tsp (or more) smoky chile pepper blend or spice of choice
- salt to taste
- cilantro optional- for garnish
- pickled onions optional- for garnish
Heat the oil in a medium pan over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until just before it's soft and browned at the edges, about 5 minutes.
Add the jalapeno (if using) and garlic. Stir to mix with the onions and cook until soft and slightly brown- about another 1 minute.
Add the beans, garlic, and chile spice mix to the pan. Allow the beans come to a brisk simmer, then lower the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook, stirring and mashing often until the beans resemble a very coarse puree and have thickened, 15 to 20 minutes. When you tip the pan, the beans should creep forward like lava. The beans will thicken a little more once they cool. Add salt and more chile spice if desired.
Garnish with cilantro and pickled onions if desired and enjoy warm, at room temperature or even chilled.
Calories: 70kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 7g | Sugar: 1g