Low sugar Romesco Sauce
An easy recipe for making this classic Italian sauce to enhance savory foods
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds lightly toasted
- 2-3 garlic cloves peeled and smashed with back of knife
- 4 oz roasted red bell peppers 1/2 of 8 oz jar
- 1/4 cup tomato puree
- 2 Tbsp. Sherry vinegar can substitute apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp hot pepper powder I used my chipotle spice but cayenne pepper is fine
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
Toast almonds in dry frying pan over medium heat for a couple of minutes until aromatic (do not burn!).
Add toasted nuts, garlic, and the next 5 ingredients (up to the olive oil) in blender or food processor and process until well blended and finely chopped.
With motor running, slowly add the olive oil until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and chill for up to 3-4 weeks.
Calories: 166kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 197mg | Potassium: 110mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 239IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 1mg