Hoppin John - a slow carb cajun stew
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 ham hocks
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 cup bell peppers chopped (orange or red if available)
- 1-2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 tsp each of dried thyme cumin, smoked paprika or smoked chipotle spice, and cayenne
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bunch collard greens rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 14 oz Black-eyed peas canned
- 14 oz diced tomatoes
- 3-4 strips bacon optional
Heat oil in large soup pot, add the ham hock(s) and sear on all sides for 4 min.
Add the chopped onion, celery, pepper and garlic. Stir together and cook for 4 minutes.
Add the stock and seasonings, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 30 min or longer
Add collard greens, peas and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
Fry up bacon and add as a garnish to the stew. I also added more bacon the next day because we ate the ham hocks but there was still stew left.
Calories: 463kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 22g | Sodium: 556mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 3681IU | Vitamin C: 77mg | Calcium: 187mg | Iron: 5mg