Moroccan Beef and Sweet Potato Stew
Flavors from a North African tagine are melded together and slow cooked in a dutch oven. This stew melds spices, beef and sweet potatoes into a complex, robust dish without having to use a tagine.
Servings 6 (10 cups)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 Lbs stewing meat chuck roast trimmed and cubed
- 1 tsp cardamom ground
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon ground
- 1 tsp cumin ground
- 1 tsp ginger ground
- 1/2 to 1 tsp ground pepper mix
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 28 oz Diced tomatoes
- 3 cups beef broth or vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 2 medium sweet potatoes Peeled and cut into 1-2" chunks
- 15 oz canned garbanzo beans (aka chick peas)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 oz. dried apricots diced (optional - not on slow carb diet)
- 3/4 cups prunes pitted and chopped (optional - not on slow carb diet)
- garnishes: chopped scallions Can also include toasted almonds or zested orange peel as garnish
Heat oil in dutch oven over medium-high heat until almost smoking. Add meat and sear or brown, tossing occasionally to get sear on all sides (about 5 minutes). While meat is browning, grind and measure out the spices (cardamom through pepper mix) and place in small bowl.
Remove meat to platter when finished browning and add onions to the pot. Saute the onions over medium heat 3-5 minutes until translucent and then add garlic for 1 minute (don't burn garlic). Add ground spices and stir into the onion-garlic mix. Saute spice-onion mix for 1-2 minutes.
Add the meat back into the pot, along with the tomatoes and broth and bring to a boil. Turn the pot to a low simmer and cover. Simmer for 1 hour.
Add the sweet potatoes to the pot and simmer for another 1/2 hour or until sweet potatoes are fork tender. (if using prunes and/or apricots, add them at this point)
Add garbanzo beans, salt and pepper and simmer for another 15 minutes.
To serve: garnish with scallions, orange zest or toasted almonds
Calories: 348kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 12g | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 6313IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 121mg | Iron: 5mg