Low Carb Moroccan Chicken Thighs
A robust stew made with chicken thighs, harissa and a range of Moroccan spices.
- 2 1/2 lbs. chicken thighs and/or legs About 6 thighs
- salt & pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2-3 Tbsp Harissa or other chile paste
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin toasted and freshly ground
- 1 tsp turmeric optional
- 1-2 fresh lemons cut into wedges
- 8 garlic cloves slightly smashed
- 1/2 cup coarsley chopped fennel bulb
- 1 onion coarsley chopped or 2 leeks, white part only, sliced
- 3/4 cup black olives
- 1 inch ginger root grated
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
Heat oil and butter in dutch oven (or large skillet). Salt and pepper chicken thighs and brown in the hot oil (skin side down). Remove chicken thighs and drain some of the oil out of the pot.
Add all of the remaining ingredients except mint into the pot and stir together thoroughly. Reduce heat to a low simmer and add back in the chicken. Tear up about 1/2 cup mint and add to the pot. Cover and simmer for about an hour.
Just before taking the pot to the table, scatter the remaining mint leaves over the chicken.
Calories: 650kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 41g | Fat: 48g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 231mg | Sodium: 739mg | Potassium: 796mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 777IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 88mg | Iron: 4mg