Low Carb Mussels with Coconut Curry Stew
A sweet and slightly tangy low carb version of coconut curry with seafood.
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 14- oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 heaping tsp minced garlic I used garlic from a jar
- 1 heaping Tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 tsp curry paste you can use curry powder if you wish
- 1 tsp fennel seeds crushed (either in grinder or with mortar/pestle)
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper or any other hot pepper spice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 14- oz can coconut milk AROY-D is good brand, you can use lite if you want- I did not
- 1/2 cup dry white wine dry red wine is OK also
- 2 lbs. mussels I used frozen mussels – Bantry Bay Brand
- chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for about 5 min, or until translucent.
Add tomatoes, garlic, ginger, curry paste or powder, fennel seeds, cayenne and salt; cook a few minutes until well blended and heated throughout.
Add coconut milk and wine, bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes.
Add the mussels, cover and reduce heat to medium. Cook for a few minutes until mussels have opened (about 4 min).
Serve garnished with cilantro.
Calories: 311kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 14g | Sugar: 3g