Spicy Seared Tuna Dinner
This recipe includes a spicy seared tuna with a balsamic reduction glaze and a side dish of white beans, tomatoes and spices. It does not need to be spicy if you change the seasoning. It is slow carb compliant and works well in a Pesco Mediterranean diet
White Bean Side Dish
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil Divided
- 1 Medium Onion Finely chopped
- 4 Cloves Garlic Finely sliced or chopped
- 3 Tablespoons Sage Finely minced
- 1 Teaspoon Smoked paprika Or other chile spice
- 14 1/2 Ounce Canned, diced tomatoes I like RoTel
- 15 1/2 Ounce Canned white beans I used Cannellini
- 1/4 Cup Shredded parmesan cheese
Balsamic Reduction Sauce
- 2 Teaspoons Butter
- 1 Clove Garlic Sliced
- 1/3 Cup Balsamic vinegar Aged if possible
- 1 Teaspoon Chipotle spice Or other chile spice
- 1/2 Teaspoon Tomato paste
- 2 Tablespoons Cold unsalted butter
- 3 Tablespoons Olive oil divided
- 2-3 Tablespoons Jerk seasoning Can use any seasoning blend
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 Lbs Tuna steaks I used 6 4-oz filets
White bean side dish
In a large pot or dutch oven, heat 2 Tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook 5-7 minutes until translucent or caramelized. Add garlic, sage and paprika and cook 1 minute, stirring to combine.
Add tomatoes and beans and cook over medium heat about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside and make tuna and glaze. Heat up when tuna is done and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
Balsamic reduction sauce
Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat until it foams. Stir in garlic; cook until edges just start to turn golden, about 1-2 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar and simmer over medium heat until it bubbles and thickens a bit (about 1-2 minutes)
Stir in chile spice, tomato paste and add salt and pepper to taste. Remove pot from burner and add the cold butter. Let it melt into the sauce while you cook the tuna.
Seared Tuna Steaks
Add 1-2 Tablespoons to a skillet and heat over high to smoking. Meanwhile, lay tuna steaks out on countertop or large plate. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper and seasoning mix. Rub in with your hands. Turn the steaks over and repeat on the other side
When skillet is smoking place tuna steaks in skillet and sear on each side for about 1 1/2 minutes per side (middle of steaks will be fairly raw). Remove from heat and drizzle with balsamic reduction. Stir in the butter to the warm beans and serve sprinkled with shredded parmesan.
Calories: 674kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 52g | Fat: 37g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 91mg | Sodium: 748mg | Potassium: 1281mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 5557IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 249mg | Iron: 8mg