Bobotie Topped with Custard
This South African dish is a robust meat pie filled with sour dough bread, African spices, chutney and apricot jam and topped with a creamy custard
Ingredients for filling
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed or finely chopped
- 1 1/2 lb ground chuck or sirloin many recipes use ground lamb
- 2 slices sourdough bread soaked in milk and squeezed out before using
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- dash pepper
- 1 granny smith apple peeled and grated (I used box grater)
- 2 Tbsp apricot jam
- 4 Tbsp chutney of your choice
Ingredients for custard
- 1 cup milk I used 1/2 cup 2% and 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 3 large eggs room temp
- 1 Tbsp brandy
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 bay leaves for garnish
Heat oil in large skillet and add onions. Saute onions until golden brown over low heat, about 5-10 minutes. Add garlic for last minute of saute, so as not to burn garlic
Add meat to the skillet and sauté until nicely browned and no longer pink. Turn off burner and drain any excess grease after it is browned.
Remove pan from the burner, add remaining ingredients, including soaked bread (before adding bread, use your hands to wring out the milk from the bread). Stir everything together until well-combined and place mixture in greased pie pan or ovenware dish.
Make the custard: Whisk alll custard ingredients together with wire whisk, except bay leaves, and pour over the beef mixture. Arrange the bay leaves in the center of the meat pie.
Bake at 350 F for approximately 50 minutes. Cool five minutes or so before cutting and serve with additional chutney on the side.
Calories: 764kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 40g | Fat: 48g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Cholesterol: 250mg | Sodium: 1490mg | Potassium: 751mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 736IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 151mg | Iron: 6mg