Burger buns are not allowed on a low carb or slow carb diet, not even mini buns for sliders. That doesn’t mean however that you can’t enjoy great tasting sliders at your next cookout or outdoor party. Liven up the little mini-burgers with some salty, crispy bacon and some creamy avocados and you won’t miss the buns at all.
There are many dipping sauces you can use with these sliders, but the creamy avocado can take the place of a sugary fruit dipping sauce. If you want to add a great dipping sauce (yes, it has carbs, but not a lot), try this Blueberry Bourbon BBQ sauce.
Preparing the mini-burger appetizer on an indoor grill
I love grilling but have tired of the process of getting the outdoor grill ready. Not to mention that I live in Minnesota where outdoor grilling isn’t always practical.
Enter the Cuisinart Griddler! I have been a big fan of Hubert Keller and used to watch his cooking show on PBS where he made extensive use of the Griddler. Because of Keller, I asked for a griddler one Christmas and it has become a go-to cooking method ever since for quick and easy proteins and easy low carb dinners.
Here is a video tutorial on how to use it if you are interested.
Recipe for the Low Carb Slider Appetizers:
- 1 lb. ground chuck (80% lean – 20% fat)
- 1/2 lb bacon
- 2 avocados
- 15-20 cherry or grape tomatoes
- dipping sauce of your choice
- Heat grill to sear (high temp). With hands, form 15-20 hamburger patties about 1 inch thick and 2 inches in diameter. Let patties rest without salt and pepper while you make the bacon.
- Fry bacon until just crisp (not so crisp that it will shatter when you break it into squares). Drain on paper towels.
- Salt and pepper the patties. Grill the burger patties to your desired degree of doneness. They do not take very long when they are this small. While the burgers are cooking, slice avocados, break the bacon into 1-2 inch squares, and halve the tomatoes if using grape tomatoes. Wait until the last minute to slice avocados so they don’t turn brown.
- Assemble the sliders with a long pick skewering first the tomato, then the bacon squares, then the avocados and finally the burger patties.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce (or alone).
Low carb sliders are great with all kinds of frosty beverages on the balcony or deck. Love something that you can eat with one hand, leaving the other hand free for conversation Italian-style.
If you are not concerned with carbs but want a great summertime party board of beer cocktails (Michalada), and some more slider recipes, click here.