Simple Mexican soups like this one often include avocado, which is the most healthy and delicious way to get one of the “good fats” into your diet. This low carb chicken lime soup topped with avocado is similar to the Mexican Flower Soup called caldo xochitl, with a rich broth, shredded chicken and a bit of spice. It is so very simple to make and doesn’t need to simmer on the stove for hours on end to get a deep satisfying flavor.
The Flavor Secret of Low Carb Chicken Lime Soup
The problem with most chicken broth soups is the flavorless broth itself. Not so with this broth. It is both spicy and delicious, with the tang of the fresh lime juice and the creaminess of the avocado taking it over the top in flavor. Similar to the combination that makes Chinese hot and sour soup so tasty, this Mexican soup has the mix between spicy, salty, and sour. If avocados aren’t available, you can substitute in some sour cream. Go for the avocados if you can however, it really makes a difference.
The other ingredient that makes a big difference in the soups flavor is the chili spice you use. I used freshly ground chipotles because we grow them and smoke them at our farm and it is my go-to spice all year. Use your favorite chili pepper spice for the heat, but go as fresh as you can for the ultimate flavor. If you want to try any of our chili pepper spice combinations, click here to see our varieties.
Recipe for Low Carb Chicken Lime Soup with Avocados
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large chicken breasts (boneless & skinless)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (16 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp ground chipotle spice (or your favorite chili pepper spice)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 2 limes, juiced (more for serving – optional)
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and roughly chopped
- cilantro (optional)
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion to the oil and saute for about 5 min. or until onion is soft and translucent. Add minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds being careful not to burn garlic.
- Increase the heat to high, add the chicken breasts, the broth, the canned tomatoes and all of the spices to the pot. Bring to a boil and then turn down the heat to low, cover and simmer for one hour.
- Taste the soup midway through cooking to see if it needs salt (grocery store chicken broth can be very salty sometimes so start with no salt and add to taste)
- After simmering for an hour, remove chicken breasts with a pair of tongs and let them cool enough that you can shred them wither with your hands or two forks. Return the shredded chicken to the pot and add the lime juice and cilantro if using
- Serve the soup in a bowl and top with diced avocado chunks. Pass around lime wedges if more lime juice is desired.
There ya go….a great dinner at low cost and easy to make. This low carb chicken lime soup is great for tomorrow’s lunchbox also!
Online Coaching Available:
I have followed the slow carb diet for 3 years and the keto diet for 2 years now, and I have put my “been there done that” knowledge to work helping people figure it out. I am currently an online diet coach (info can be found here if you’re interested), and have just hit the 250-client mark. Come and visit me and see if online coaching might be for you!
If not for diet, there are other coaches on the site that coach anything from writing a blog, to getting up early, to getting rid of that pesky procrastination. Explore the site while you are there. There are some wonderful coaches and the testimonials will tell you what you need to know. Click here to get to my profile and then explore others from there.